Duvet Dwellers Book Club was created in 2015 to be a book club for those with chronic physical and/or mental illness.Reading is a fantastic, addictive pasttime as it can be done anywhere – in bed, on the sofa, in a waiting room or hospital bed. Words can transport you from restrictive four walls to a different place, time and experiences. They can inspire, excite, change your views, make you laugh out loud, cry or expand your knowledge. Reading can be solitary and there are times you want to discuss your current book, find new authors, try new books and connect with others. This is where book clubs come in.
Conventional book clubs usually revolve around a chosen book and meet monthly at a chosen location where you can meet new friends over a cup of tea or wine but as everyone with a chronic illness knows, life is unpredictable and challenging. Brain fog/fatigue/illness means the book doesn’t get read. Getting ready to go out can use up all your energy, fatigue or illness can strike at anytime so plans get cancelled. There are times it is impossible to get out of bed, nevermind the house.
This is where Duvet Dwellers Book Club is different.
- We are a friendly Facebook based group so whenever and wherever you have internet access you can join in.
- We have monthly discussions on the last Friday of the month but it is flexible, you can join in day/night or catch up weeks later
- There is general book chitchat any other time
- it is theme based rather than a specific book so you can decide on a book/reading material that suits you. It can be e-book, physical copy or audio. Long or short, fiction or non-fiction. We don’t mind – all books and genres matter
- We don’t mind if you don’t finish the reading matter you planned or changed your mind mid-month
- We all have chronic illness whether it is physical/mental or combination of the two so we dont mind if you are late, in PJs or tucked up in bed
So grab a book, a beverage of your choice, snuggle under a blanket/duvet and join in the fun.
Click here for a warm welcome